Saturday 19 July 2014

Things we eat in London

We just got back from London last weekend. I spent a week there while Elson attended a conference. Being back in the same city for a 2nd time, with a baby and without help for stroller, it limited my mobility traveling around much for touristy stuff. So I focused on food this trip. There was a baby section in my plan, but got abandoned as the days passed. Let's get straight to food business now. Pardon the lack of photos here.

Burger & Lobster
I don't think this needed much introduction. It became a must visit place for me every time I visit London. For the sake of people who doesn't know, this place serves only 3 dishes: grilled or steam lobster with sauce, fries and salad at the side, lobster roll and beef burger, at 20£ each. Of course they have a wide range of drinks. They now have 5 branches, including the new one just off Regent street. I used to prefer the steam lobster, but my taste bud changed to lobster roll this trip. I was extreme satisfied after visiting it twice this trip.

Royal China
We had dim sum there during our last trip about a year ago. We went back for dinner and dim sum on separate days this time round. In our personal opinion, dinner dishes were not as fantastic as the dim sum. Dim sum was really great, equivalent to Hong Kong standard. This place is slightly pricier than those in Chinatown though. And note that different branches have different prices for the same food. On Baker Street, there are 2 branches, one in the club (the more expensive one) and the other just a shop on the same street. The one at Queensland is cheaper than the ones on Baker Street.

Bimbimbap
This Korean place specializes in Bimbimbap as its name. I tried the spicy pork Bimbimbap. It was awesome. This is a cheap and good place. A Bimbimbap cost less than 10£ if you do not add extra orders, and it sure fills your stomach. As I was walking from Charlotte street to Oxford street, I saw another branch which I didn't know of. So, new information here.

Ten Ten Tei
This is located in soho. I noted this place during our last visit but we just did not have time to go for it. We managed to go this time round with more time on hand. The ladies in the shop are Japanese, while some chefs that I seen are Indian I guess. However there were quite a number of Japanese customers too. Looking through the menu, they had a wide range of variety. Their set meals are value for money. I was craving for some rice, so I chose the tonkatsu set dinner while Elson had tonkotsu ramen with fried oysters at the side. The food was amazingly authentic tasting. It was some comfort food for us. The following day, Elson was still thinking about going back for a 2nd time. This is a cheap and good eat.

Tonkotsu Ramen
One particular request from Elson for this trip was to find him a good ramen place. We do not have authentic ramen in Malta. So here we go. This is one of the 2 shops that I planned. We shall do a comparison later. This shop is really crowded. We were there quite early and it was already filling up fast. They have nice setting with a touch of vibrance. I had cold ramen and Elson had tonkotsu ramen. Yes, Elson had tonkotsu ramen at all the 3 shops. This shop is very specific, only ramen and a few side dishes. I liked the cold ramen as the noodles retained the springy texture, and the sauce that went with it was refreshing. Elson's tonkotsu ramen's broth was really good. It was thick but not over done. We did not tried any sides or desserts as it was getting crowded and Kyven was getting cranky.

Bone Daddies
As the name indicates, this is a modern ramen place. It has loud music, high tables and a fun crew. The starters are a must try here. We had the sashimi, which was awesome. They are not normal raw fish. They added some other ingredients to it which I can't remember them now. Forgive my forgetfulness. It was so refreshing and tasty. I almost wanted to take everything and not share with Elson. While we waited for our food, I saw other customers eating pork ribs. So we ordered and tried. It wasn't in the menu though. Look out for a board that states special of the day. The marination was great but the meat wasn't soft enough to be ripped off easily. We thought it was still a good starter. Our tonkotsu ramen were served next. We both had the same ramen that day. Personally, we felt the one at Tonkotsu Ramen was better. The broth here was not as thick as their and the noodles lost its springy texture. So pick your choice, good starters or good ramen.

Siam Central
A thai food place as the name suggested. This was not a planned place but since my aunt whom I'm meeting there had many praises for this, we shall try it. we had pineapple rice, tom yam soup, chicken curry, asparagus and mango sticky rice. The food there was good but not extremely great to my liking. I can taste the "wok" taste in pineapple rice, just a little oily though. Tom yam soup was spicy to the right amount to have some kick but not sweating. Curry was rich and tasty as how thai curry should be. Mango sticky rice as dessert was the perfect way to end the dinner. This is a crowded place. Do go early.

Fish and chips
I tried fish and chips this time at 2 different places, cafe at Debenhams Oxford street and cafe at Raddison Blu Edwardian Berkshire at Oxford Street. It definitely was not the top choice for fish and chips but was just convenient for me. They were good but not fantastic for me to go again.

Along with all the dine in palces, we did some takeaways as snacks too. Roast duck and pork from Four Seasons, chiffon cakes, and bubble tea from Chatime in Chinatown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...