Thursday 6 December 2012

Mandarin Thursday - 5 Tips for Beginner to start

I have always enjoyed teaching Mandarin to non-native speakers, so here I am, starting a weekly Mandarin Thursday Post, sharing tips and guides with new Mandarin Learners. I will share what works for my students before, hoping it will help you to learn faster and better.


Today I am sharing 5 tips for a Beginner to start learning. This structure had been tested and proven by my students before. Do give it a try, and let me know if you need any help.



Here we go:

#1. Start with the simplest short sentences first. You do not need complicated sentence for people to understand you. Some sentences you can start with are:





#2. Do not attempt to learn individual pronunciation of each letters. Forget about them and just learn to pronounce the word itself first. You will figure them out better 3 months down the road. (Note: 3 months is a time frame for daily practise. It may take longer to figure them out)



#3. Understand individual words in the short sentence. Expand your vocabulary by changing 1 or 2 words in the sentence each time. For example:


我喜欢吃苹果。 Wo3Xi3Huan1Chi1Ping2Guo3. I Like to eat apple.

我喜欢吃。 Wo3Xi3Huan1Chi1Mian4. I like to eat noodles.

喜欢吃面。 Wo3Bu4Xi3Huan1Chi1Mian4. I don't like to eat noodles.


Notice how I change 1 or 2 words each time, and how I keep the sentence simple? Do not attempt to over explain yourself in the beginning. 




#4. Do a google search and you will find plenty of information of Mandarin Sentence Structure. However I like to simplify it to the following:

People - Time - With Whom - Place - Action

Note: Not every sentence need to consist of all 4 elements.




#5. Lastly, take note of the pronunciation. There are 4 tones in each PinYin (the English phonics for Chinese words). By pronouncing it wrongly, it may be a total opposite meaning altogether. So, do take some time to ensure you pronounce the words correctly.

After a while, you will notice that there are many words using the same PinYin. Do not be surprised, as there are many different words pronounce in the same way.



Is there anything about learning Mandarin you will like to know?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...