Tuesday 4 March 2014

Pregnancy and Delivery in Malta

It has been a long time since I update the blog. So many changes since the last update. We have a little baby boy, who is 5 months and a week now. Our lives change so much with his arrival.
I found out I was pregnant when I was back home in Singapore for home visit last January. We stuck to our schedule, and came back to Malta for the rest of my pregnancy, with 1 holiday trip to London in April. We were recommended a gynaecologist at St James Hospital, and never regretted our choice. Professor Isabel Stabile made every visit to her such a joy to look forward to. She did all the necessary checks and answer all our queries in humor.
I had a smooth pregnancy with no morning sickness or craving or rejection of any kind of food or smell. Just a little small hiccups where I had UTI and ezcema on my legs during the last trimester. Overall, I didn't felt like I was pregnant except for the growing tummy.
Towards the last 3 weeks were the most exciting and torturing time when I started to count down. Tummy got heavier and sleeping was a torture. That made me so look forward to the delivery. We made the choice of deliverying at St James instead of Mater Dei as we were more comfortable with the facilities and my gynaecologist will be there.
For information sake, you are not allowed to choose gynaecologist at Mater Dei should you need one for c section or any emergency case. Most natural delivery will be handled my midwives there.
My midwife at St James, Carmen, was a gem. 3 days before my due date, I got a call from her checking with me on my status. Any contractions, bleeding, basically any signs as my date is near. Next thing I know, she called me in for a check up by her. To my surprise, she told me baby is ready to come out, and asked me if I want to use some help by bursting the water bag. I was more than happy to do so. I can't wait to get rid of my big tummy!! So I was asked to go home get a good rest and report at 7am next morning.
7am. Here we go! I was late though, we just couldn't wake up. By 815am, my water bag was burst. 9am, first contraction start. Carmen constantly came and check on my contraction and ultimately told me I will have my baby by noon time. Before I knew what was going to happen, I was ready for pushing at 11am. Baby was born at 1215pm. How accurate can Carmen be!!! She timed everything so perfectly that my gynaecologist came in just before my final pushes for the baby to be out.
What a pleasant experience! I know it is not normal to say that about delivery but I think I had a pleasant experience excluding the pain.
Post delivery care at the hospital was fantastic. My husband get to stay in, Carmen checked on me regularly and make sure I ate the right food. Good knowledge gaining time.

I am so thankful for my smooth pregnancy and delivery. 

Hello baby Kyven

Weighing 3.54kg

Getting dressed for the first time

With my midwife Carmen

Our cheeky little boy now

How time flies....

8 comments:

  1. Oh what a cute baby!!!! Congratulations. I had wondered what happened to you, glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    First of all congrats for your beautiful baby! I came across your post as I was googling Dr. Isabel Stabile.
    I wanted to know if she only works in St James or also can be found at the Mater Dei hospital. Did you pay all your visits in the private clinic, or do you get some discount from the state? I know they can be a little expensive. I am also looking for a good gynecologist in Malta and I would do with some advice from women who have already had experiences here.
    Please let me know.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Congratulations to you as I supposed you are pregnant!

      As far as I know, Dr Stabile doesn't go to Mater Dei. So if you want to see her, it's only at St James. And she will not deliver at Mater Dei as well. In any case, you cannot choose gynae during delivery Mater Dei. It will be whoever is on duty.

      I paid for all visits at hospital as pregnancy is not covered by insurance unless there is complication. The state will not give you any discount as well. However you need to pay a visit to Mater Dei for 1 appointment with any gynae to get the blue card (pregnancy card where they record every visit's details).

      Blood test at St James are all paid by myself as well. Afterall, it is private hospital.

      Good luck. Let me know if you need any more info.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your reply! I am just TTC for now, but I wanted a first appointment with Dr. Stabile for some advice and guidance. I am 35 so I am not sure if this will work or not. :) Just trying and hoping for now. I just wanted to know if she was also seeing patients at Mater Dei, since you adivsed she wasn;t I got my appointment for tomorrow at St. James. :)
    Thank you and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to ask for Prof Stabile, not Dr Stabile. There are 2 Isabel Stabile in St James. And both are gynae if I'm not wrong.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes. It was the prof. I had an appointment with. Can't wait for my visit tomorrow. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...