Monday 3 September 2012

Grow Fat with Bread in a Week!


I like to browse recipes. One day, we were chit chatting and Elson suggested that I try to make Tuna Bun, Singapore style. I decided to try a recipe from my friend after much hesitation. I have no experience with bread making. It seems difficult to me.

I did a total of 5 tries to get it right!

I bought my yeast next day, and bread appeared few hours later.
I didn't do enough research on kneading of dough. I couldn't managed the wet dough and kept adding flour, which is WRONG! My friend used machine, I used hand. Oh well, let's look at the outcome.
First outcome: taste alright, look awful, more like focaccia bread.
First Try: Tuna Bun

4 more tries to go....

Given my NEVER-SAY-DIE character, I tried again next day, this time Hotdog Bun. It was worse than yesterday because this time, I added flour to the surface of the dough, not mixed in. So, outcome was like eating flour on bread.


Failed again!
2nd Try: HotDog Bun (with flour :p)

I decided that this is not going to work, I did my research. I was too anxious, so didn't really do enough research. The 3rd Hotdog bun was overbaked, too dry and crispy. Not to my expectation.
BUT, I learnt something about dough here. I finally know what is a tacky and not sticky dough!
3rd Try: Crispy HotDog Bun (no flour :D)

Finally I decided that I MUST do intensive research. And I did. I found out the different techniques of kneading, different process, different hydration level, etc. I tried again for the 4th time.
Woohoo, not bad this time. BUT, it is still not the texture that I wanted, and I smelt flour. Boo!
4th Try: Bread Loaf - Taste Great!!! with a litle flour smell tough

Last research again, hours and hours of reading. Finally, here it is!
SINGAPORE STYLE TRADITION BREAD!

5th Try: SUCCESS!!! Soft and Fluffy Bread

Elson couldn't resist and finished half a loaf straight away. It was so soft and fluffy. It still taste as soft and good the following day. The smell was right, no more flour smell. I am definitely keeping this recipe!


It was a fun process though, and kneading isn't as easy as I thought it was initially. However, after getting the hang of it, it was manageable and fun.
Well, I have not tried using machine to knead the dough, maybe by then, I will not say kneading is fun.


Any bread recipe to share with me? I will share this recipe later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...