Wednesday 28 November 2012

Robbery! Pickpocket!

Let's see how lucky we were! We were robbed on the first day of our Sicily trip, and pick-pocketed on the last day in Rome. I am going to share here to let you know their tricks!


Robbery!

Let's start with Sicily. We were targeted at Catania Fish Market. We were walking to our car after lunch, passing through the fish market, where all the fishmongers were packing up. The road, which was bustling with cars and people, was now empty and quiet. At the corner of my eye, I noticed a motorbike. It did not alert me in any way then.

3 of us were walking ahead, while the last guy were strolling behind, looking at the map on his tablet. We were standing by the road, contemplating whether to extend our parking ticket to walk around the shopping area. This was the point where I noticed the motorbike started moving, turning around in our direction. The motorbike came in our direction from the back slowly, where he tried to squeeze through between us. While we gave way to the motorist (on the thought that he might hit us), the motorist grabbed one of our bags and rode off.

Luckily, the motorist targeted the wrong person. He grabbed the bag of the biggest guy in our group. We held on to the bag tight and pulled back. The motorist had to let go, as I was standing in his way where he could not accelerate to escape. My mum saw the motorist's angry face. Everything from the bag dropped on the floor, but nothing was lost. We quickly picked things up, and drove off in our car.

NOTE: Try to walk on streets empty handed, or sling your bag across your body and kept it in front of your body.



Pickpocket!

Pickpocket happened in the train in Rome. After visiting Colosseum, we took a train back to Spagna instead of taxi as there were a riot outside. The Colosseum train station was so packed and chaotic. After a while, we managed to get our tickets and got to the platform. Platform was chaotic too as there was a big fight between a group of people and the train station staff.

While we tried to squeeze onto the crowded train, another group of fake pregnant woman squeezed in behind us. One of them pushed my grandma, slipped the other hand into her bag, trying to pick her money, while my grandma trying to gain balance. I noticed it, and pulled her hand away. She didn't give up. She requested the guy sitting beside my grandma to give his seat to her as she was pregnant. I gave her a deadly stare.

Another woman from the same group targeted my mum. She tried to unhook my mum's bag. My mum was alerted when she was being pushed. She went on to check her bag, and felt a hand there. She smacked it off. It was then, the group of woman communicated in their language to give up, not to try on us again.

NOTE: Be aware when someone pushed you in crowded places. Check your bag. Best to go empty handed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...