Tuesday 9 October 2012

Fumia Restaurant - Food review



It was our anniversary, and Elson decided to bring me to Fumia Restaurant. He had been raving about the big oysters there, and how good the food is. I went on to do a google search on this restaurant, and was amazed to find many fantastic reviews about it. I was having high expectation before I even stepped in.


Ambience:
It looked normal, nothing fantastic from the outside.

BUT, the moment I stepped in...




I was totally blown away by the setting of the place. It has such interesting structure. From the steps that I took to walk into the restaurant to the moment I saw the interior, I felt like I had walked into a cave. The lightnings made the place feel so cosy. The spaces between each table gave you personal space and a comforting feeling. I took a good 10 minutes enjoying the ambience and the structure.





We reserved for an early dinner, 7.45pm. Their dinner time only starts 7.30pm. The restaurant was relatively empty when we stepped in. There was a corner where all the fishes, oysters and lobsters were displayed on ice, allowing customers to choose.

Service was fantastic, everyone wore a smile, gave you ample time to enjoy the moment and look at the menu, stepping forward at the right moment to take your order. They know their fish and wine well, advise well when you over-order.





Starter #1: Fresh oysters!

Look at how big the oyster is. Super delicious and fresh. Savoring every mouth of it. Fills my whole mouth with no space left to talk.





Starter #2: Fish Soup

We ordered one portion to share. The staff there were so nice to half the portion into 2 separate bowls for us.Very nice thick soup, can really taste the freshness and the fish.






Starter #3: Grilled Tuna with salt n pepper

This is actually a main course, but we requested them to do a starter portion for us. It was so so so good, I can't help but cut it into smaller pieces, and enjoy each bite slowly. It was cooked perfectly, just cooked, not over not under.






Main Course: Spaghetti with Lobster

We chose our own lobster, which weigh about 450g. I forgot to take a picture of the raw lobster though. Very well cooked pasta but doesn't give me the "Wow" feeling. It was then, that Elson mentioned "oh I think I remembered wrongly, the good lobster pasta is at Sciacca!" Oh well, it is good still. He just gave me another excuse to go to Sciacca! :)





Dessert: Banoffee Pie

Dessert is termed as Sweets here. Do ask for recommendation if you prefer something else, as some Sweets are not put down in the menu.





Banoffee Pie was real good. That was the first time I tried this. Usually the moment I saw cream on anything, I will shut off immediately. But the cream was light and went well with the rest. As a person who doesn't like cream, I gobbled down everything. It definitely completed my dinner well!




Overall Verdict:

It was a fantastic meal. Their food was so good that I had to slow down and savor every single bite. Ambience and settings of the place was so cosy and made you felt very comfortable throughout the meal. Service was excellent.I find that the pricing was reasonable, given that we had oysters and lobster.

The bill came up to about 100Euros with no wine, Oysters at 3Euros each, Tuna and Fish soup both at 6Euros each. I can't really remember the price of the Lobster Spaghetti as it was priced by weight. Their usual pasta would be around 12Euros. I definitely will be back for more, and would like to try their steam fish.


Address:
Fumia Restaurant
Valletta, 72 old bakery road.



4 comments:

  1. My, am I getting hungry... And to think that some Swedes I know complain about Malta's food, especially restaurant food. So I am grateful for your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps its about finding the right place and getting used to the taste. Although food here are greatly influenced by Italian, they still have their own unique twist to it. I just love exploring good food. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi there, for vegetarian you mean? this place is good for their fish and shellfish. I doubt there are many options for vegetarians. I know Ir-Rokna http://elson-leng.blogspot.com/2012/11/ir-rokna-had-your-pizza-already.html has vegetarian pizzas. You may want to try there! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...